So maybe my mom wasn't in the "great" mom category. Have you also noticed that I have a slight lisp at times? Just kidding. I don't have a lisp, and I never got my tongue caught in the beaters...but probably only by the grace of God! Telling the story of my meager school lunches certainly doesn't paint my mom in the "great" mom category, so let me tell you a different story.
When my first husband left me at 6 months pregnant in the middle of the winter, my world fell apart. I knew that I would have to raise a child on my own. I knew that I would have to leave my job, my friends, my own home. My heart broke for my son who would not have a father in his life on a regular basis. I was a mess in so many ways, but not once did I worry about how I would get through. I never gave a second thought to where I would go or how I would support myself and my child. I knew I would go home. When I told my mother what had happened, she looked at me and said, "You're coming home, right?" I never had to ask, and I never had to question her love and support for me or for Jacob. Of course we were coming home, and of course that's how we would get by - with her guidance. Now, the time that I lived at home with Jacob wasn't always lovey-dovey. My mom and I had quite a few major differences of opinion, but even during those battles of will, I never questioned the security of her love for me. I know so many women who get into fights with their parents and are subsequently kicked out, children too, with no support, nowhere to go, no one to call upon. I have no idea how that must feel. I have no idea, because I am blessed with a great mom.
A super mom, even!
It wasn't until years later when I truly realized that the shame in that conversation did not fall on my shoulders. The shame was hers. Shame on her for failing to support another mother, for belittling and demeaning someone who was truly desperate for just the simple pleasure of friendship. Isn't motherhood hard enough without the criticism of others? Actually, I don't think the woman I spoke even realized the implications of what she said. She may not have meant it in the way I took it either. She may have just been stating a fact. The club was only for non-working mothers. I did not qualify. Nonetheless, it felt like another notch on the belt of imperfect parenting that I put on the day Jacob was born, the belt that I wore cinched way too tightly for way too long.
In recent years, I have become more comfortable with myself, with my parenting style and with where I fit on the spectrum of motherhood. When it comes to parenting, I am terribly imperfect on many levels. I am impatient at times and often short tempered. I get obsessed with organization, and I hate - absolutely hate - being woken in the middle of the night for any reason whatsoever. I let Andrew ride on the bottom rack of the grocery cart during almost every shopping trip. It's incredibly poor judgement on my part, but he loves it.
I do not sit with Jacob while he does his homework unless he specifically needs help. With the exception of the pumpkin Rice Krispy treats, I do not make super cute treats for snack day. (I had a moment of Martha Stewartdom that quickly passed, thank goodness!) Actually, this last week I completely forgot to take Andrew's snack to school. I had washed and pulled grapes from the stems, which I thought was going above and beyond, but then promptly left the bag in my fridge, completely unnoticed. Fail. I tried to join the PTO when Jake was in first grade. It wasn't for me. I volunteered a few times when Jake was in second grade. Also not really for me. I have not volunteered at all for Andrew. The second kid really gets the shaft. But I wouldn't miss a single school production for either child. I have been to every Halloween parade without fail. Sometimes I let them have cookies for breakfast, and I always bribe them with donuts to get them through Mass. But I also make a balanced dinner and pack a healthy lunch for them both every day. There's no Tupperware containers of marshmallow cream for my guys! No way!
For those moms who are on the PTO and volunteer in the classroom, kudos to you! In a lot of ways, I am envious of you. For those moms who hand stitch Halloween costumes, kudos to you! I can barely sew a button. For those moms who serve Spaghettios for dinner, kudos to you too. I bet it was a lot less stressful to nuke that sucker for 30 seconds that it was for me to make sweet potato chickpea burgers that no one will eat! For those of you who are struggling with making everything perfect for your children, please, let it go.
Not all moments are meant to be enjoyed...or perfect. And trying to make everything just right will do the opposite. It will make you feel frazzled and inferior, and you will end up leaving your grapes in the fridge anyway! It's ok to cut corners. It's ok to be flawed. In fact, to be well rounded individuals, kiddos need to see that sometimes imperfect isn't a bad thing. For those of you who have let the quest for perfection go, good for you! Letting go has allowed me to see the joy in areas where I might not have otherwise taken notice. And for those of you who are naturally impeccable parents (yes, I believe that it actually does come very naturally to a select few), well, I have to hate you. No, just kidding. Kudos to you too. Maybe you can share some tips for the rest of us June Cleaver wannabes!







No comments:
Post a Comment