Thursday, March 15, 2012

Spring Fever

Even though it is 530 in the morning, and I am exhausted as usual, I am excited to start the day.  The weather has been absolutely wonderful lately. I always feel like day light savings time practically gives me a new lease on life.  It doubles the amount of time I can spend outside after work, and it doubles the amount of time I can spend driving (and hence going places and doing things) after work, because I can't see at night.  It's like the darkness of winter holds me prisoner in my own home, and the light of spring comes to free me!  I'm free!  Woo Hoo!

Yesterday Andrew and I decided that weather like this simply demands a pedicure, so despite the dead leaves on the porch and dust on the steps, we took off our socks and brought out the polish!  

Jacob is in Florida this week on a little vacation.  While we are jealous that he's at the beach, and we miss him dearly, having good weather here has lessened the blow somewhat.  Yesterday, he got his hair done in anticipation of his return home. 

And these, God-awful ugly shoes are my biggest reason for being excited this morning.  My hip has been feeling pretty good over the last month (knock-on-wood).  Aside from a little stiffness here and there, I haven't had any major pain.  I have actually been doing a strength training routine fairly regularly for several weeks, and I've been walking regularly on my lunch break at work for the last two months too.  I've been considering lacing up my running shoes again for a while, but something kept holding me back.  Yesterday, I just felt the time was right.  I can't tell you what it was exactly, it was just a feeling.  After dinner I bought myself a new pair of kicks.  

I had done the research myself and decided which new shoes I wanted to try, but the ones I thought I wanted weren't the ones I ended up with.  This was the first time in endless trips to sports stores that I have had a sales rep who actually knew what he was talking about.   He brought me the shoes I asked for, but brought these shoes too and said, "just try them, they're like heaven on your feet."  I tried them, and he was absolutely right.  They are a stability shoe, but they're featherweight.  My old Asics feel like  bricks in comparison!  I am so stoked to put these babies on and run again! 

My goal for today is actually to have no goal.  My tendency is to get hung up on goals and times and pushing, pushing, pushing.  I know that is why I ended up with a knee injury and then a hip injury that sidelined me from my love for 5 months.  I'm not going to be running the marathon in May.  I'm not going to be running any races any time soon, not even something as small as a 5K.  I'm going to focus on just me, just moving and doing it slowly.  Running a marathon is still on my bucket list, but really, I've come to terms with the fact that it's one item I may never cross off.  I would rather only run 2 miles 5 days a week for the rest of my life than not run at all for any length of time again.  I think I have the right perspective now.  I don't have to go all or go big.  I just have to go.

What are you doing to enjoy this "unseasonably warm" (to quote the weather guy) weather?  I see lots of people out and about!  I hope spring fever is one illness all of you have caught! 


No comments:


Jake takes time out of his special day to bond with the dogs.

Sharing the burden of blowing out the candles.

Jake and Pap

Jelly Bellies and Tequila...the ultimate birthday gift for Pap!

Legos Mars Mission - the ultimate birthday gift!

Mimi's homemade birthday cake is very kind to Pap.