Saturday, September 25, 2010

Not Quite Fall

We had grand plans today to go on a hike up Chimney Rocks after Jacob's soccer game. Two of my friends and their kids, as well as the boys and I were going to meet up and explore. For those of you who aren't local, Chimney Rocks is an overlook of our town. It used to be just rough trails, but several years ago, they renovated it, paved some areas, improved some of the trails and cleared out a large area for grass and a small (and very strange) playground. I say strange, because it is bizarre equipment. No slide or swings, just abstract shapes and climbing areas. Not suitable for young kids. My boys are always disappointed when they get up close and realize it's not so fun after all.

Aside from the playground, it's very nice. It's well maintained and a great place to go in the fall, if you are looking for some spectacular views of the town beneath. Our grand plans were shattered, however, when my friends bailed on me. Upon hearing that it he would have just me and Andrew as company, Jacob bailed too, choosing to spend the day with my parents instead. So, instead of letting it spoil our day, Andrew and I went alone to Chimney Rocks to explore. It hasn't been cool enough yet for the leaves to change significantly, so the view was very nice, but not the rainbow of color I had been longing for. Rather than be bummed out about missing the gorgeous fall view, we wandered around the park, picking up sticks and checking out all the rocks. In my opinion, it ended up being nicer without the rest of the crew, because no one had to adhere to Andrew's schedule, wants or needs, aside from me. No battles, no whining. Just hanging out, checking out the town, picking up sticks and then heading home. We made our own fun!

I would like to go back in a few weeks, when fall is in full swing, because it really is a beautiful place. I can remember hiking up there long, long ago when my mom first met my dad. I would have been 9 or 10. It was rough hiking then (well, as rough as it gets for taking grade-schoolers) - no prepared paths or bathroom facilities, anyway. Instead of saying outright that he had to pee, Terry said "I have to go see a man about a horse." My sister looked at my mom and excitedly said, "Oh boy! We're getting a horse!" What a disappointment it was to her when she found out the truth. There was no horse talk today, just sticks, rocks and fresh air, and another family memory passed along!

"Hey, Mom! I think I see our house!" (You can't see our house, but you can see my parent's)


"Do not cross this line."

"Are there bears around here? I heard something big up there!"

I took this myself! Is that professional grade photography or what?

Part of Chimney Rocks from the inside of the park

Jacob joined the Cub Scouts. His first day was last week. Here he is before his first meeting, posing with my dad.

Super Jacob will protect our home at all costs!

"Don't worry, Mom. I'll hold down this rowdy lamppost!"

"See, a little muscle and it's all straightened out!"

No comments:


Jake takes time out of his special day to bond with the dogs.

Sharing the burden of blowing out the candles.

Jake and Pap

Jelly Bellies and Tequila...the ultimate birthday gift for Pap!

Legos Mars Mission - the ultimate birthday gift!

Mimi's homemade birthday cake is very kind to Pap.