I've been off work for a week now, and while I worry a little about my lack of pay, and I worry a lot about some of the things that I left behind at work, I am also really enjoying this vacation! I've gotten a ton of things done, I've had a lot of fun already, and we have even more good times to come.
Last Saturday I was going to just quickly tidy up the house for Jacob's birthday party. It was a family party, so I didn't feel the need to go crazy cleaning. I know what you're thinking - I always go crazy cleaning - but that really wasn't my intent. I was only going to scrub the bathrooms, and sweep the porches. Somehow, I ended up cleaning out three closets, Jacob's room, and all of the kids' toys in the process. I'm not complaining at all! In fact, I'm thrilled when I finish those kinds of tasks! It was a very productive day indeed!
We had planned to go to the lake on Monday, but the weather didn't exactly cooperate. Greg went fishing with his dad (no rain could keep that man away from his boat!) and I stayed home with the boys. I cleaned every single carpet in my house! I also pulled out all of my furniture on the first floor and wiped behind and underneath it. It took me seven hours. I was exhausted at the end of the day, but it was so worth it! My carpets were filthy! During the process of the cleaning, I'm pretty sure I pulled a small kitten out of the rug scrubber!
We're having a yard sale next Saturday. Spread the word, and come on over, if that's your thing. When my parents were cleaning out their house, they had a lot of things that were still in really good condition, but just not suiting their needs anymore. I took most of it, and added to it all of the junk (ahem, I mean gently used items) in my house that we no longer need, and amassed an entire room full of stuff. Instead of just giving it away, we decided to have a yard sale. That sounded just dandy until about a month ago, when I realized the implications of having a yard sale. I asked Greg if we could just load up the truck and take it all to St Vincent's, but he said no. So, yard sale it will be. I'm convinced that we are going to spend hours getting ready for this event only to make $30. Oh well. I just want the stuff out of the house. What goes out is not coming back in. If it isn't sold, it can sit in the driveway with a free sign. What's left on Sunday goes to St. Vincent's. So come and get it ~ please!
Once the attic is cleared of the yard sale items, the house will be 90% spring cleaned. I'll only have to do the windows and under the beds. The fact that my house is nearly clean, and I mean really clean, from top to bottom, is priceless to me. Last summer I didn't have this big of a chunk of time off. I went into work a few days a week (not much, but more than none). I don't know what else went on last year, because I actually feel like this summer is busier, but somehow I ran out of time to clean. Towards the end of the summer, when everything was still undone, I asked my nieces to do my cleaning for me. They did a great job, and I have to admit that it was nice to pay someone to do it, and come home to a clean house. But still, cleaning like that is something that I feel I need to do on my own. No one else can purge the house like I can, and house purging just tickles me beyond words! I love to get rid of stuff! That said, I'm eager to have the yard sale and empty the house. Our neighbors are having one on the same day, so if you come over, drive through the alley and see what junk (ahem, I mean wonderful, but gently used, items) they have too!
On Tuesday I ran a long run - 8 1/2 miles - the longest I have gone in over two years. I can't tell you how good I felt, and feel, to be gaining mileage. That may be a whole other blog entry in and of itself. let me just say that the last 3 months have been great. My hip feels great *knock-on-wood,* and I feel great. I forgot - no, I didn't forget, I just lost the ability to accurately recall - just how much better I feel overall when I am running. I feel healthier, fitter, happier. I am bound and determined to avoid re-injury. After getting back in the groove, there's no way I want to lose this feeling of peace and well-being again.
Wednesday I took the boys to the pool with my friend, Kelley. I'm pretty sure everyone had a great day. If you haven't already, check out some pictures here.
Yesterday, Jake and I spent the day shopping for Father's Day gifts. He had karate in the evening, and after that, I took the boys to Sweet Frog for a treat. It was our first time there. What an interesting place. I had a small cup of peanut butter yogurt. It was good, but I maintain that nothing beats the Meadow's peanut butter custard. It's still my favorite. The boys covered a smidgeon of yogurt with smatterings of candy toppings ranging from cookies and chocolate chips to nerds and gummy worms. I can't believe they actually ate what they created! To me, it looked like a sickening sugary stew, but for the kiddos, it was the bee's knees.
This morning, I slept until 7:15. In fact, I haven't gotten out of bed before 6:30 since last Saturday! As you know, sleeping in is practically unheard of, and beyond wonderful for me. I have been sleeping pretty well (for me, anyway) stirring only minimally throughout the nights. With nothing pressing me to jump out of bed, no set obligations or commitments, I find myself laying in bed for a while, waking up slowly, just taking in the sunlight that streams through my window in the mornings. A girl could get used to starting the day in such a relaxing manner!
Greg is off today. I had planned to get up and go for a run, but I haven't made it out the door yet. I have run 4 times this week already, and I have a run date scheduled for tomorrow morning, so I am considering taking the day off. The sun is trying to peak through the clouds. I looked at the forecast for Huntingdon and it doesn't look like any major storms are to pass through until later this evening. Greg is still in bed now, but when he gets up, I'm going to try to convince him to take the boat out instead of being productive today. I don't think it'll be too hard to persuade him. We live for summer boat time!
Tomorrow we have a graduation party to attend. Sunday will be a big Father's Day bash at my brother-in-law's. Monday my friend and I are taking the boys to Idlewild for the day. Tuesday Andrew has a follow-up appointment for his G.I. issues (no problems in the last month, so I'm hoping to be released with a clean bill of health). Wednesday I have a lunch date with friends. Thursday and Friday will be yard sale prep. Greg has a gig on Friday night. Next Saturday is the yard sale. Next Sunday is a picnic at my in-law's to visit with Greg's aunt and uncle from South Carolina. The list goes on, but I'm sure you don't really care about all of the details of our social lives. The point is that it's been a wonderful week so far, and there are more good times on the horizon. Have I mentioned before that I love summer? I have? Well, here it is again -
I. Love. Summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment