Sunday, December 6, 2009

Misfortune

If you can't be content with what you have received, be thankful for what you have escaped.-- Author Unknown

Yesterday afternoon the house behind my parents' burned down. The people who lived there have there for longer than I can remember. I grew up being friends with their children, as did Greg. Apparently, the fire was caused by the dryer. When the woman opened the door of the dryer, the oxygen fueled the already existing fire and increased it. The clothing fell out onto the floor. This ignited the fire on the second floor, which spread through the entire house.

She has MS and is disabled. He husband had a brain tumor removed somewhere around 17 or 18 years ago. His brain surgery was at the same time that she was diagnosed with MS and also found out that she was unexpectedly pregnant with their 4th child. He was left significantly disabled from the brain surgery, and is therefore very slow moving. Fortunately, they were all able to get out of the house safely. They also had a dog, which they rescued as well. I assume that their son assisted them, but I don't know that for sure. Unfortunately, the house is gone. I have not yet seen it. Greg drove by yesterday to see if he could help. My dad went over as soon as he saw the fire from his windows. They both said that it's significant. The house is pretty much gone. They've lost everything. Their son wasn't even wearing shoes when he left, but they are grateful to be alive.

There's nothing like a house fire to put your life into perspective. This is the second time I have seen someone's house burn. When Jacob was 2, our next door neighbor's house burned. I will never forget the enormity of that night, watching their home engulfed in flames and the tornado of emotions that followed in the aftermath. I will also never forget the impact the fire had on the community, the drawing it had, and the number of people who simply helped out of kindness without expectation. It was an horrific experience, I wished never to witness again, but for me, it rekindled a long lost belief that mankind is in fact inherently good.

The Red Cross provided temporary shelter, the Salvation Army provided food and clothing, local stores provided either goods (furniture, appliances) or gift cards for goods, and many, many people either purchased items, donated gently used items, or donated cash to the victims of that fire. And, if you haven't read the story written when I first started writing this blog, over a year ago, go back through the archives (I believe you need to scroll down on the lower right), because there is a very good one entitled " A Love Story," about a handsome young man named Greg, who wins back the love of his life, at least in part, by some of the selfless things he did to help this family after that fire.

Last night after dinner, I rented a movie for us to watch. As I pulled back into my driveway, looking at my neatly decorated, firmly standing home, I felt somewhat queasy. How are these decisions made; whose house stands and whose burns, who suffers such trials and who does not? This family has certainly had their share of trials, especially in the last 20 years. MS, a brain tumor, and those are just two publicly known struggles. I know, it's not for me to understand. I know that these are concepts I have struggled with, and will continue to struggle with my entire life. This is not an aspect of my faith that I can blindly accept. It is my weakness, and I hope that God will forgive me for questioning. In the meantime, throughout the process of my questions, I still maintain my faith that God's will is best. Isn't that the important part of faith anyway?

The family who suffered the fire yesterday is currently staying with my friend Jackie's in-laws. Jackie's mother-in law has MS and is also wheelchair bound, so her house is accessible, and she agreed to allow them to stay in her home until they could find housing. This is a small community, and the family was also involved with the church. I'm going to mass today to see what, if any, collections will be taken on their behalf. I'm going to tell Greg not to purchase any Christmas gifts for me personally. I think that this family could use that money instead. I have every Christmas present I need right beside me, every minute. Greg's mom is close friends with a close friend of the victims of the fire. I'm sure she will keep us posted as to what they might need as well.

God's will or not, the timing is terrible, and my heart is broken for them. We will pray for this family, and I ask for your prayers too - for their strength and perseverance, for the goodwill of this community to once again come together for their aide, and for them to eventually find some good, somewhere, somehow in this disaster in their lives.

At the end of my prayer, I am also thanking God for sparing my family from such devastation.

No comments:


Jake takes time out of his special day to bond with the dogs.

Sharing the burden of blowing out the candles.

Jake and Pap

Jelly Bellies and Tequila...the ultimate birthday gift for Pap!

Legos Mars Mission - the ultimate birthday gift!

Mimi's homemade birthday cake is very kind to Pap.