Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Walk In The Park

Saturday was just so nice outside that we could not let it pass us by. In the afternoon, we bought dinner and went to a local state park for a picnic. I let the boys (I include Greg in that grouping) run around and play in the leaves after we ate. I should have been insightful enough to bring my camera. It was, after all, a beautiful fall day in central Pennsylvania. Alas, I wasn't very quick thinking, so I had to use my cell phone for photos. The quality of the shots isn't that great, but their expressions are priceless, regardless of the mechanism used to capture them! Here's hoping to another great fall day, another chance to soak in some sun and fresh air, and another opportunity to love the ones we hold most dear!

It's blurry, I know. Honestly, that's one of my pet peeves - sharing blurry photos. I considered not posting it, but sheer joy on Jacob's face can clearly be seen despite the blur. Isn't that how life is most times? How often do we have clearly defined boundaries, goals, outcomes, etc? More often than not, life is blurry. It is not a matter of black and white, but rather a series of gray areas without clearly defined edges. While that ambiguity can be frustrating, it can also be considerably freeing. It is through the ability to analyze, mold and shape our thoughts, reactions, and circumstances that we can truly recognize our blessings. The blurred lines can be our prison or our freedom. We can choose to become overwhelmed or use it as our liberation to look beyond what is immediately visible, to question what is possible and to push ourselves to be better.

Whoa...That's awfully deep for a blurry picture of a 7 year old throwing leaves! I think Greg must have spiked my coffee with something this morning! Ha! Seriously, I believe everything I wrote above, but it may also just be a long-winded way (Monique) of saying that I like the picture even though it isn't clear, so deal with it!

Look out, Greg. Ambush ahead!

"Oh yeah? Right back at 'cha, boys!"

"Mom! Andrew smells!"

"Come on, Jacob. It's just ode de'leaf, see!"


And this, my friends, is why I included Greg in "the boys" category. It is also where Andrew gets his acrobatic skills. Even at 39, this man can't walk by a tree without scaling it. At least he didn't try to fly out of it!

No comments:


Jake takes time out of his special day to bond with the dogs.

Sharing the burden of blowing out the candles.

Jake and Pap

Jelly Bellies and Tequila...the ultimate birthday gift for Pap!

Legos Mars Mission - the ultimate birthday gift!

Mimi's homemade birthday cake is very kind to Pap.