Last night was awful. Actually, last night was really fun until about 1130. Our neighbor's came over for dinner, and some mutual friends joined us a little later. The men "jammed" while the women played the role of steadfast groupies, in between appeasing Andrew's playful needs. It was nice evening, but I'm getting old and I can't hang til the wee hours of the morning any more. I said my goodbyes to the band around 1130 and went to bed.
Did I mention there was wine involved? Oh, and Kelley made a delicious peanut butter pie that I just had to eat! Alcohol gives me heart palpitations if I drink too much. Carbs do the same. I knew what I was in for, but often times a drink and some sugar is worth a little bit of discomfort later. I drank some water with chia seeds in an attempt to lesson the effect. I'm sure it did help a little, but not enough. When I got into bed, my heart just raced and raced and raced. I was just about to fall asleep around 1 when Andrew started crying. I checked on him. He was fine. I went back to bed. 15 minutes later, he was crying again. Bad dreams maybe? Poor little guy. He was up 4 times between 1 and 230. I was STILL awake at 230. Ugh. Greg came to bed sometime around 230, and the next time Andrew got up, Greg got him. Still, I woke up too. The last time Andrew was up, it was because he peed the bed (Sharon, didn't I say he would pee the bed? All that juice and fresh clean sheets guarantee a wet night!) All in all, I think Greg and I slept maybe 2 hours last night. Well, I slept 2 hours, because at 7 Greg started snoring so loudly that no other human could remain asleep next to him. He's still sleeping, so woo hoo, he's going to get a whopping 3 hours of sleep, because Jake has a basketball game in an hour and a half, so I'm going to wake him up soon. I think we'll all be napping this afternoon.
I really didn't start writing this blog to tell you about our disrupted sleep last night. I'm writing to tell you about what I saw last night. During that one and a half hour stretch, I actually fell into a pretty deep sleep. I was dreaming a very odd dream about being away somewhere with a bunch of people I didn't know and the top layer of skin on my thumb, including my finger nail fell off, leaving me with just an open throbbing wound. I was searching for a hospital for treatment, but I was also trying to carry home a large gift bags full of books attached to several Mylar balloons for Andrew. Tying the balloons was proving to be a difficult task without a usable thumb, but I never got to the end of the dream, because the cat touched my leg and woke me up. Thanks Sam. It was the pad on his paw that touched me, and at first I thought it was Andrew's tiny fingers. Once I realized it was Sam, I was relieved, but wide awake...again. I rolled over and that's when I saw it. The ghost...or something like that.
Greg was sleeping face down and it was hovering over his back. Now, it was night time, and I have terrible night vision, but I was not asleep. It was not a hallucination. I am certain that I saw something, I just don't know what it was. It was a blurry, white-ish blob. My first thought was that it was our cat, but I knew that he was sleeping soundly at my feet. I double checked on Sam. Yep, still at the foot of the bed. I raised my head and squinted my eyes - blob still there. I didn't feel scared at all, just a little confused. I rolled onto my side, stared at it a few moments longer, still couldn't determine what it was, so I went back to sleep. Yes, I just casually went to sleep, leaving Greg with some kind of entity floating nonchalantly above him. I'm that kind of wife.
I don't know what it was, but it was something. I go back and forth between believing in ghosts and not believing, but obviously I tend to lean closer to the believer side of things. The people who lived in this house before us swear that an elderly woman has taken up permanent residence here. They have tons of stories about her. When Greg and I first moved in, we had several unexplainable experiences too, but they have decreased in frequency lately. If you ask ghost aficionados, they would tell you that ghosts tend to "act up" during periods of transition. We haven't had much transition lately - no construction, no major life events. Things are stable, and the ghosts are content to be dormant.
Except for last night. One of them felt a compelling need to appear. Maybe she was awed by Greg's drumming last night and felt the need to draw from his energy. Greg does ooze enthusiasm. I can see the attraction. (Of course I can. I married him, didn't I?) So what do you think that was? Was it the old lady? Just a ball of energy? What? Have you ever had a similar experience? I've heard and smelled unexplainable things before, but this was my first ghost sighting. The topic is open for discussion - gimme what you've got!
1 comment:
As we have discussed, I do not believe in ghosts. But after you mentioned the 'smelling' thing. I have quite occasionally smelled cigarette smoke in my house at odd times and for no reason ... as no one in this family smokes...
Post a Comment