Some news on Jackie and the baby:
Initially, things looked terrific. Sean gained weight within the first few days, needed very little intervention, and Jackie seemed to be doing well. Since he was born on a Friday, the weekend staff didn't do much besides monitor him. Jackie was discharged on Tuesday, feeling tired and sore from the surgery, but overall well.
Later in the week, however, things took a change. Jackie began to have severe abdominal pain and was readmitted. A battery of tests were done with inconclusive results. Right now, the doctors feel that she is having difficulty resuming digestion due to the lengthy time without food. She had been very ill throughout the pregnancy and relied mostly on IV nutrition. They also suspected a blockage between her liver and gallbladder. I have not heard the latest results on that test, so I am not sure if that has been confirmed or ruled out. Jackie remains admitted.
Sean was not seen by the neurosurgeon until Tuesday or Wednesday. The good news is that the fluid on his brain seems to be draining on its own! They have decided to postpone surgery for now, and wait to see how much fluid remedies itself first. Unforeseen complications, however, are occurring with his heart and lungs. Two chambers in his heart were not completely closed off upon birth, possibly due to prematurity. The last I talked to Jackie, the doctors felt that this could correct itself with time. His heart rate was dropping when he ate, though. He was also experiencing some respiratory distress, definitely a result of the prematurity, and was still on oxygen.
Again, in light of the possibilities, Sean is doing much, much better than expected, but he is far from out of the woods. And I know that poor Jackie didn't expect herself to be dealing with health issues so far past the pregnancy. I know she really just wants to be done with her own medical drama and to be able to focus on her son. Thanks again for all of your prayers. I'll continue to update as I hear!
No comments:
Post a Comment