Thursday, April 7, 2011

Dream Weaver

I always have very strange dreams.  I think part of the reason is because I never sleep well, so I spend a lot of my sleep in that state just under wakefulness, where you are very aware of your thoughts, but yet not fully lucid.  I think many people probably have strange dreams too, but just don't remember them because they are among the lucky ones who actually get a good night's sleep!  While I do long for some sound shut-eye, I always look forward to contemplating my dreams.  Sometimes I can come up with explanations, sometimes not.  I have various ideas about dreams.  I think that they are by-in-large just extra neuron firing, releasing energy from throughout the day.  But I also give rise to the possibility of a deeper meaning in them.  I had one particular dream when I was in 8th grade in which I swear God channeled knowledge to me.  I'll tell you about it in another post.  Right now, I wanted to share my most recent dream encounter.

Last night I dreamed that I had recently given birth to a baby girl.  The birth wasn't part of the dream, I just knew that this baby was a newborn and she was mine.  The bulk of the dream took place at night, with me in the passenger seat of my mother's car.  We were driving on a local back road.  My mom was driving, and I had the baby cradled naked on my chest.  I was trying to figure out what to name the child, and was going through every family name I could think of, because I knew Greg would want her name to have meaning.  I finally decided on Anna Griffith, my great grandmother's name, because my sister had already used Jacqueline, my grandmother's name for her daughter (that part is true to life). 

At some point during the drive, I realized not only that the child was naked, but that I had no diapers, clothing or supplies at all for the baby.  My mom pulled into someone's driveway and headed up to their door to ask if they had anything we could use, while I waited in the car.  While she was explaining the situation to the woman who answered the door, I looked down at the baby and saw that she had turned into a bright orange kitten! My only thought was, "Oh, I hope her eyes stay that gray-blue color." Suddenly, the kitten tried to escape, and began clawing big holes into the leather on my mom's car door.  Then I woke up.

Any thoughts on what the symbolism is in this dream?  The only thing I can explain is the location.  The road I was on is one that I used to drive a lot when I lived with my grandparents in early childhood. Recently I started running some of the roads around their old house, so it is fresh in my mind.  I have also been thinking a lot about my running routes, trying to mentally figure out the distance of some possible new routes.  With all that thinking about local roads, I can see why one would pop up in a dream.  As for the rest of it?  Hmm...I don't know.  I can say this, I surely hope it wasn't a premonition!  I've gone to great lengths to ensure that there is no baby girl (or boy!) in my future.  As for the kitten, well, that's more of a possibility but not any time soon!

No comments:


Jake takes time out of his special day to bond with the dogs.

Sharing the burden of blowing out the candles.

Jake and Pap

Jelly Bellies and Tequila...the ultimate birthday gift for Pap!

Legos Mars Mission - the ultimate birthday gift!

Mimi's homemade birthday cake is very kind to Pap.