"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."
Charles Schulz
I'd also like to make a secondary dedication to one of our most cherished clients, D. May God's hand be on his shoulders now. May he be spending all of his time camping, and may the makers of his pumpkin pie know enough to add more than just the can of pumpkin puree to the crust. Sorry, D. I can do so much more with a can of pumpkin now. If only you were still around.
Pumpkin Muffins
2 1/2 cups quinoa flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 375. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda and salt.
In a bowl, whisk butter, applesauce, pumpkin, egg and buttermilk. Fold wet mixture into the dry. Stir until just combined.
Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake 20-25 minutes.
This recipe is thanks to www.Runnersworld.com. The original recipe called for whole wheat flour, but I don't use wheat flour. I prefer quinoa for my baking needs. It has more protein, fewer carbs and is still versatile enough that you can't notice the substitution. I also substituted applesauce for the oil. It's a straight substitution, so if you prefer oil, just use 1/4 cup. Likewise, the recipe suggested making this with mashed sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin (peel, cube and boil one or two sweet potatoes to make one cup mashed). I plan to try the sweet potato version. I just didn't have any on hand. I also threw in a few chocolate chips for good measure. We had a quarter of a bag sitting in the cupboard for the last 6 months, so I thought I would use them up. Good call, if I do say so myself!
These were pretty good. I would definitely do them again.
Marsha, Norma and Donna - have I redeemed myself on the pumpkin baking front?
Now, I need suggestions for what to do with the remaining pumpkin. I still have close to 2 cups left. Suggestions?
2 comments:
"D" loved your pie and you! Such unconditional love! What living, loving, and laughing we shared! I am forever grateful dear friend! So here is a recipe for the other 2 cups of pumpkin...and you can make this healthy or should I say healthier. 1 pkg. of instant vanilla pudding(OK, make it sugar free!), 1 1/2 c milk(OK, fat free milk) 1 cup fozen dessert whipped topping(thawed, and try fat-free!) 1 c. of canned pumpkin, 1/2 t of pumpkin pie spice...Mix pudding and milk, stir in pumkin and spice, fold in whipped topping. Voila! Pumpkin Mousse.
Thanks, Marsha - for the recipe, but most importantly, for just being you! I look at the photo of the 4 of us at Keystone Park all the time. It's on the wall above my desk at work. It always makes me smile - in part just because of the great bond we all have, but also because it makes me think about the photos Norma took after that one, when the self timer was still set and we were all confused and laughing! Who needs entertainment when you've got great friends!
I'm headed to the store today and I will pick up the ingredients for the pumpkin mousse. And just for the heck of it, I think I'll go full fat, full sugar! I can always start that diet again tomorrow, right?
Post a Comment