Sunday, October 9, 2011

Sweet Seasons

I had one of the best weekends I have had in a really long time.  It didn't start of looking like anything spectacular.  Greg was called into work on Friday night and I had to do a community outreach event for work on Saturday morning/afternoon.  So while Greg and the boys were out fishing and enjoying the wonderful weather, I was stuck inside.  But the event went well,  and I had some time to myself afterwards to do some much needed shopping.  Earlier in the week, Jacob had left yet another crayon in the laundry, and before I realized it, another entire load of clothing was ruined.  Among the casualties was my favorite pair of black pants.  On one hand, I was terribly saddened.  They were among the few pairs of pants I have ever owned that I actually really loved.  But, on the other hand, they were over 5 years old, so it was truly time to retire.  I tried on (I'm not exaggerating) about 40 pairs of pants and amazingly found two pairs that were suitable.  I also got two new shirts.  And, under the recommendation of one of my dear friends, I bought some new bras.  Not cotton bras either!  I bought 3 plain beige, black and white bras and one - are you ready for this - leopard print.  Ha!  Take that, boring cotton underwear! I have to draw the line at under wire, though.  I can't have metal pressed up against my rib cage.  Honestly, if I had my way, I would go braless and make-upless all the time, but I fear the repercussions it would have on others, so I'll keep the bras and mascara for now.  I can't make any promises for the future!

Saturday, evening my parents came home from a week long vacation in Cape Cod.  It was nice to see them after such a long time.  I know, it was only a week, but when you are used to seeing someone every day, a week is a long time!  It was really a long time for Jake.  He missed them terribly.  He was thrilled to have them home, and of course, he spent the night with them Saturday.  Greg and I put Andrew to bed early and made the most of an evening alone.  We had way too much to drink, got a little crazy, and just had a really wonderful night together.  Between his work schedule and the kids, we don't often have time alone.  I think it was close to 1230 by the time we went to bed, which is super late for me!  I was exhausted, more than a little tipsy, but very content.  Have I told you how much I love my husband?  He is the most wonderful man I have ever met.  Everyone loves Greg, but somehow (I truly don't know how) I am the one lucky enough to be loved by him.  We fell asleep instantly, cuddled  together, completely relaxed, and without a worry on our minds.  I don't remember the last time I slept so well...until about 4 a.m. when I woke up with one of the worst headaches I've had in a long time!  The headache was short lived, though.  Some chia seeds, a banana and some Motrin took care of the hangover.  The fun we had the night before was well worth the little bit of hangover in the morning.

Today we went to mass together.  I didn't always find comfort in the church, but since finding Father Gardner, his ease with the parish and his gift at relating the gospel so poignantly to everyday life, I have enjoyed mass.  I especially like it when we can all go together.  It adds a special touch being able to sit in the comfort of the church with my family beside me.

After church, Greg took Andrew to a friend's house for a while and I ran 4 miles in under 40 minutes.  It wasn't fast, but it was the farthest I have gone since returning from my hip issue.  The weather here today was simply gorgeous.  I love this time of year, and I really love running in the cooler weather.  For me, running isn't just about the exercise, it's about the entire sensory experience, mind and body.  Today gave me simply perfect conditions.  Despite the hangover, I felt great.  I felt powerful.   A good deal of my route was up hill, another thing I love.  Don't get me wrong, down hill is easier (well, if it's a slight down grade it's easier.  Steep down grades are actually really hard on my knees), but up hill gives me that runner's high I crave.  Not a light-headed, "dude, that was awesome" kind of high, but the high where I feel like I champion because I conquered something difficult.  The doubts I have been having about whether or not I will be ready for the marathon come May disappeared today.  I felt secure, confident and happy.  I could have run further, and I almost did, except that little voice of reason, which most times is no where to be found when I need it, told me to take it slow.  When I got home, I stretched, iced, took naproxen and waited for the pain to set in.  Amazingly, the pain has been minimal.  It's noticeable, for sure.  I'm not 100% yet, but it wasn't excruciating.  I was able to sit and then stand the rest of the day without limping.  That's a good sign.  I'm ready for another run tomorrow!

I also took a nap today! I love naps.  I have been an avid napper since I can remember, but I haven't been able to nap since I changed positions at work.  Today I thought I would just lay down for a short time while Andrew slept.  My alarm went off and I turned it off.  I thought I would just lay there for a few more minutes until he got up, so I closed my eyes.  What I thought was only seconds later I heard him calling me over the monitor.  I looked at the clock and 90 minutes had passed!  Holy cats! And I was still in the exact same position as I was when I laid down!  Now that was an awesome nap!

My in-laws had a Steeler party today.  Andrew and I walked to their house after our naps and spent some time with family.  We had some good laughs, as always.  After the party, we visited my parents again for a bit and then headed home.  Greg was at the neighbor's house.   Andrew just adores my neighbor.  She's so sweet to him.  When we stopped the car to talk to Greg, Andrew yelled for Sharon and then asked if he could stay with her for a while.  We visited with them for a bit  before heading home and getting ready for bed.

Now Andrew is asleep, and I'm just drinking a beer and blogging, waiting for Greg to come home.  What a sweet weekend.  Absolutely no stress, lots of good laughs, lots of feel-good contentment, and almost two full days of being very aware of and grateful for the blessings in my life.  In light of the stress that I have been feeling lately, I really needed this weekend.  Oh, and another great thing - my mom is going to take the boys to Pittsburgh for a trip to the pumpkin patch this weekend.  This is great for the boys, because they missed out on the pumpkin patch visit earlier this month.  They'll have a blast with my niece.  It's also great for Greg and I because not only is Greg off next weekend, but it's also our anniversary.  I only work a half of a day on Friday and Greg is off completely.  We will have the afternoon just to ourselves, no kids, no work, nothing but each other.  Friday night we are going out with my sister and brother in law, two of our favorite people, and with no obligations on Saturday now, our options for the next day are wide open!

I wish I could keep things like this forever.  I know that isn't possible, but nonetheless, I'm feeling very good right now, and I plan to hold on to this emotion for as long as I can.  This truly is a sweet season and I am very, very grateful.  

No comments:


Jake takes time out of his special day to bond with the dogs.

Sharing the burden of blowing out the candles.

Jake and Pap

Jelly Bellies and Tequila...the ultimate birthday gift for Pap!

Legos Mars Mission - the ultimate birthday gift!

Mimi's homemade birthday cake is very kind to Pap.