Sunday, October 2, 2011

Can I Call You Dad?

 It is not flesh and bloodbut heart which makes us fathers and sons.

 - Friedrich von Schiller


I found this page in Jacob's school journal.  It's a picture of Jake and Greg fishing off the pier at Glendale. Under it is written, "My favorite person is my dad because he takes me fishing."

I'll never forget the first time I heard Jacob call Greg his dad.  It was just after Christmas in 2006.  I had taken Jake to work with me and one of my coworkers asked Jake what his favorite Christmas present was.  He said it was a gum ball machine, a gift from his mom and dad.  (That gum ball machine is another story too!  It nearly ruined his belief in Santa!  I'll share it another time.)  I was a little surprised that he referred to Greg as his dad.  I never called Greg "dad," Jacob did it on his own.  Even though Greg is not Jacob's biological father, I'm certain that Jacob can't remember a time in his life when Greg wasn't present.  Greg and I met when Jake was only three months old, and by the time he was 18 months old, my relationship with Greg had become serious.  There's never been a time that Greg didn't treat Jacob as his own, never a question of whose boy he was, and Jake has always known that.  Even with the addition of a biological son, Greg has never differentiated between the boys.  Greg is simply a sincere and genuine soul, kind and generous without discrimination, and the best father and husband we could ever ask for!  If anyone has earned the title "Dad," it's Greg!

No comments:


Jake takes time out of his special day to bond with the dogs.

Sharing the burden of blowing out the candles.

Jake and Pap

Jelly Bellies and Tequila...the ultimate birthday gift for Pap!

Legos Mars Mission - the ultimate birthday gift!

Mimi's homemade birthday cake is very kind to Pap.