Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Feline Power

                                      There has never been a cat
                                      Who couldn't calm me down
                                      By walking slowly
                                      Past my chair
                                           - Rod McKuen

I had several wonderful professors during my time at Allegheny.  Everyone adored our choir director, who we endearingly referred to as Chief.  I also became good friends with one of my German professors, who is now the dean of the college.  But the one with the most unique and forward personality was Professor Richter.  The first day I met him, when I was scheduling classes my freshman year, he said, "With a name like Koelle, you must study in Cologne!" And a year later, I did study abroad.  On the first day of class my freshman year, he said to another student, "Chris, did you ever smoke a joint before coming to class?"  "Um. No" said Chris apprehensively.  "Well you should try it sometime,"  he replied, "It's fun!"   

He fit many of the German stereotypes, including the one where they say exactly what they are thinking without a filter.  I loved that about him.  He could be quite abrasive at times, but you always knew where he was coming from, and he really did have his students' best interest at heart.   While I lived in the dorm, my friends lived in the campus German house.  I practically lived there too, I just needed my own place to sleep (one that was clean).  Even though it was against school policy, we had two cats at the German house.  One day, Professor Richter stopped by the house unexpectedly and there were our cats, just sitting in the kitchen.  He picked my cat up and began to pet her.  I waited for him to tell us that we had to get rid of our cats, but instead he said something like this: “When I wake up every morning, my dog is sitting by the edge of my bed, waiting for me.  He stares at me with these big brown eyes that say, 'You are wonderful!  You are perfect!  You are the world to me!  I love you.' How could I ever live to be the person my dog thinks I am.  It's too much pressure!"  He paused a moment and then continued, "That is why I love cats.  When I look at my cat he says, ‘Feed me or I’ll shit on your couch.’ Now that I can understand!” 

Isn't that the truth?  Your cat does not think you are God's greatest work.  In fact, he thinks that he himself is God's greatest creation!  He loves you on his terms, not yours.  It's totally conditional - conditional on maintaining his feeding scheduling, allowing time for his frequent naps, making room for him to cuddle when he wants (and only when he wants) and giving him space when he prefers to be alone.  Yet despite all of these conditions, I can't help but melt at the sight of this little guy.  He does the goofiest things.  He bites my feet.  He carries a 4 foot long stuffed snake all over the house.  He sleeps in my planters.  In 5 short months, this house has totally come to run on his terms - and we love him all the more for his unparalleled powers of control.  What a sweetie!








My Family: Greg, Mom, Jacob, Andrew... and Sam!

No comments:


Jake takes time out of his special day to bond with the dogs.

Sharing the burden of blowing out the candles.

Jake and Pap

Jelly Bellies and Tequila...the ultimate birthday gift for Pap!

Legos Mars Mission - the ultimate birthday gift!

Mimi's homemade birthday cake is very kind to Pap.