Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sweet Potato Love

All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast.  ~John Gunther

I love sweet potatoes.  I love them baked, raw, mashed, you name it.  I have yet to find a recipe with sweet potatoes that I didn't like.  That's why I was so excited when I came across the pumpkin muffin recipe in Runner's World, which suggested substituting sweet potatoes for the pumpkin.  Well, this morning instead of running (my motivation is seriously lacking), I decided to make sweet potato muffins.  Before I started making the muffins, I had a few changes in mind.  I wanted less ginger, a little nutmeg and cinnamon.  Then, as I was making the muffins, I realized that I had no buttermilk.  Being already 3/4 of the way through the recipe, I decided to substitute a container of Chobani plain Greek yogurt.  Now, I have never claimed to be a baker, and making hap-hazard substitutions has traditionally ended in irrevocable kitchen disasters, but today the results were fantastic!  I don't care what kind of diet you follow.  If you don't like these muffins, there's something seriously wrong with you!

This is the recipe as I made it:

2 1/2 cups quinoa flour (original calls for pastry flour)
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons ground ginger (original calls for 1 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (not in original)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (not in original)
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup applesauce (no sugar added) (original calls for 1/4 cup vegetable oil)
1 cup pureed sweet potato (I used two small sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed, boiled and mashed.  They equaled about 1 1/2 cups and I just threw it all in)
1 egg, beaten
1- 6 ounce container Chobani plain Greek yogurt (original recipe calls for 1/2 cup buttermilk)

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine dry ingredients.

In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients, including sweet potato.  Fold wet mixture into the dry.  The batter will be very dense.

Spoon into muffin cups.  You can fill the cups almost completely, because the batter will only rise slightly during baking.  I also recommend keeping a shallow bowl or cup with water in it, to wet your fingers and smooth the batter out in the muffin cups before baking, because it's so thick that it doesn't spread and fill the cups itself.

Bake for about 25 minutes.


Spread a little butter on a warm muffin, and you can't help but be grateful for such a delicious breakfast!

No comments:


Jake takes time out of his special day to bond with the dogs.

Sharing the burden of blowing out the candles.

Jake and Pap

Jelly Bellies and Tequila...the ultimate birthday gift for Pap!

Legos Mars Mission - the ultimate birthday gift!

Mimi's homemade birthday cake is very kind to Pap.