Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Listing Gratitudes

He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.
Epictetus 

Since I love making lists, I thought I'd bless you all with a list of things I am grateful for today.  Take a look:  
  1. Beautiful fall weather.  This last week has boasted fantastic blue skies, a just-warm enough sun and crisp evenings.  On days like these, you can’t help but be grateful! 
  1. A decent job.  Yes, all jobs have their disadvantages, but I have to say that after listening to some other people’s horror stories, I am seeing the advantages to my job more and more.  We get 13 paid holidays and accrue sick time.  We have matching funds for our 401K program.  We have flexible work schedules and mostly friendly and cooperative team members.  And I got a free Sams Club membership for both Greg and myself today!  Awesome! 
  1. A stellar report card.  Jacob brought home his first report card for 3rd grade.  His lowest grade was a 93, with most of his grades being much higher – 96,98,99!  What a smart little guy he is!  I am so proud! 
  1. Coffee.  I’m grateful for coffee every day.  Today I drank my usual 6 cups at home and then made another pot this afternoon at work.  I found this super yummy coffee on sale at Martin’s a few weeks ago.  It’s Caribou Blend, Rainforest Alliance Certified, “a full-bodied coffee that perfectly balances herbal and fruit flavors with bittersweet chocolate.”  Now, I can’t really taste fruit or chocolate, but the flavor of this coffee is outstanding!  I love it.  I’ll really love it on cold winter day, but I couldn't help but enjoy it on this warm fall afternoon too!


  1. A good parking space.  Parking at work is limited, to say the least.  Today I was lucky enough to get a spot right in front of the door.  Woo Hoo! That always makes me smile!
  1. Digital technology.  I have been going through old photos like crazy for these gratitude blogs, and let me tell you, I have loved every minute.  You don’t know how hard it is not to post every picture I come across!  Look at some of these beauties (in no particular order):

 A boy born to a cleaning fanatic has to learn to find the joys in laundry early in life! 

 "Look at all these gifts!"  I love his expression!  Hysterical!

 Jacob was less than thrilled about having his photo taken on Christmas Eve last year.  This one also cracks me up, because it's SO Jacob!

 "Whoa!  Bubbles!" Hahahaha!

 Jake, 2 years old, looking so sweet in his dolphin galoshes and lobster rain coat.  

The cutest firefighter on the block!

Tubing at Raystown, 2007.

"Here's lookin' at you, kid."

Andrew was a holly-jolly baby!

"Yo, Mom.  Just hanging out while you decorate that tree you insisted on dragging into our living room."

Binkie love gone too far.

Go Steelers!

Every baby needs at least one photo of himself in the tub with something goofy on his head!  We have covered our bases by taking many of these types of shots!

Now, back to my list of gratitude: 


7.  Good food.  Last night I made one of my favorite go-to dishes and I get to eat the left-overs tonight, which are even better than the first night!  Since I love you all so much, I'll share the recipe:

Slow Cooker Tagine
 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, cubed (I use a bag of frozen squash)
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup raisins
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 pounds chicken thighs
3 cups cooked quinoa

Combine squash, tomatoes, onion, garlic, beans broth and raisins in crock pot.  

In a cup, combine the spices.

Rub spice mixture over the chicken thighs & place chicken on top of vegetable mixture.  Cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours. Serve over quinoa (or cous cous would work too, if you aren't a quinoa fan).

You know, I was going to take this list to 10, and I could very well keep on going, but I think I've taken up enough room for today.  Get off the computer and enjoy your life!


No comments:


Jake takes time out of his special day to bond with the dogs.

Sharing the burden of blowing out the candles.

Jake and Pap

Jelly Bellies and Tequila...the ultimate birthday gift for Pap!

Legos Mars Mission - the ultimate birthday gift!

Mimi's homemade birthday cake is very kind to Pap.