Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Ordinary Miracles


If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough.
-- Meister Eckhardt


Ah...the last post of 30 gratitude blog entries (ok, 28.  I shorted you two. Sorry about that!).  I should end with something remarkable, right?  As I was falling asleep last night, I thought about what to write today, I searched for something profound.  I replayed my day, my week, my past, trying to find something that I hadn't already written about, and I came up short.  I couldn't think of anything extraordinary.  Then I realized that an absence of a remarkable story isn't a shortfall at all.  In fact, it's exactly what I wanted.  The point of reflecting each day on my blessings wasn't just to express gratitude for the big things.  It was also a way of actualizing the wonder in my daily life.   Thankfully, daily life isn't usually all that exciting, but it is always extraordinary.  

Yesterday I had a nice morning.  Andrew slept in, so Jake and I were able to get ready for our day with ease.  Morning sets the tone for the whole day, and I am always grateful for a morning routine without any glitches!  When Andrew got up, he said he didn't feel well.  I was worried that I would have to call in sick, but after a nice snuggle on the couch, Andrew perked up and had a good day.  I was thankful that he wasn't sick, thankful for our cuddle time, and thankful that I didn't have to miss work.  Work was uneventful.  I was productive, not stressed, no drama - a perfect work day in my opinion!  Our evening was nice too.  A friend asked me to be in her wedding, which is a true honor.  That's a request you don't get every day! (For the record, I told her that I don't dress up well, and that my mere appearance has the potential to ruin her entire day, not to mention the photos she will have for the rest of her life.  I gave her an out, but she didn't change her mind.  It's off my shoulders and on hers now!).  Later in the evening I ended up at our neighbor's house with Greg and Andrew.  I had a drink and a few smokes (Don't judge me.  We all have vices) and a good many laughs, mostly at my expense...those are the best kind of laughs!  When we came home, Greg put Andrew to bed while I got a shower.  I climbed into bed and kissed Greg good-night.  His kiss lingered a little longer than usual, and well, I already told you how I love to kiss him.  One thing led to another and let's just say we both slept peacefully.  I only woke once between 11 and 430! (Note to self: alcohol, sex, gratitude = deep sleep.  Try this combination more often!)  Was that an unremarkable day?  Heck no!  It was the perfect day, and I am grateful for every single minute of it.

This is the last blog entry specifically for gratitude, but any of you who have been reading my posts know that it's a theme I come back to often.  I'm a firm believer in counting your blessings, expressing thanks and paying it forward.  We are all given more opportunities than we realize to be thankful.  I cherish my blessings, but I find that I appreciate and enjoy them much more when I pay them forward.  In the words of Sarah McLachlan, spend some time each day recognizing your ordinary miracles then "open up and find a way to give some of your own."  





No comments:


Jake takes time out of his special day to bond with the dogs.

Sharing the burden of blowing out the candles.

Jake and Pap

Jelly Bellies and Tequila...the ultimate birthday gift for Pap!

Legos Mars Mission - the ultimate birthday gift!

Mimi's homemade birthday cake is very kind to Pap.